Ramblings of a Social Outcast

Wednesday, August 01, 2007

Hi. So , at the end of the school year I decide to stop relaxing my hair my hair, and am working on transitioning. The thing is I have know one to help my out at all. I was trans-racially adopted by white parents and they've tried their best when I was little, but still didn't really know what they were doing. My mom did braid my hair really nicely for a while, though. That was until I decided I wanted to be like all the other little (white) girls in my hick town. I wanted the "ideal" (white) hair. I haven't had natural hair since I was 5 or 6. However, I finally realized that the reason I was straighting my hair was my on internalized racism against natural black hair. It's my Sr. year of High School and I want to have my real hair for college. I want to show everyone in this town that Nappy hair is just as good as any other hair. I will not be ashamed of the gift that I was born with. I will not pander to the white male supremacist ideal standard of beauty.

Any how, the thing is I can't even take care of my hair now. It mostly just stays in a ponytail. I don't even know how to braid.
This was my first post to Black Hair Media. I thought I'd give a bit more insight in the crazy that is my life.

Labels:

4 comment(s):

Brava!!!! Natural hair is BEAUTIFUL hair! Our daughter's first mom has natural hair and it is GORGEOUS!!! (If you go to my blog and email me, I'll send you the password so you can see her gorgeous napptural hair!)

BTW, I was having comment trouble and wanted to say re., your last past that a great resource for PCOS is soulcysters.com

By Blogger Dawn, at 8/01/2007 9:48 AM  

Thanks for the link! I'll be dropping you an email.

By Blogger Manda, at 8/03/2007 3:10 PM  

Good for you! Beauty is on the inside anyways.

Does your mom know that you have this blog?

By Blogger junglemama, at 11/30/2007 1:15 PM  

Ahhh internalized racism is so hard!I hated being Asian my whole life until a few years ago. Now I'm proud of it! Besides, the chemicals in hair straightening products aren't good.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1/30/2008 2:05 AM  

Post a comment

<< Home